Amritsar is the holy place and spiritual center for the Sikh religion. Its a city in Punjab state of India. The name of the city derives from the pool around Harmandir Sahib (Golden temple) and means 'holy pool of nectar'. The golden temple was initiated by Guru Ramdas Ji, the fourth Sikh guru, and completed in 1601 by his successor Guru Arjan Dev Ji. Its the major pilgrimage and tourism center.
The best part of this temple is, it actually treat all religion, cast and people be it rich or poor equally. All has to stand in one queue for Darshan, no special entry for rich people and food to every one at Langar.
Amritsar is situated 32 km east of Lahore, Pakistan. The main commercial activities include tourism, carpets and fabrics, farm product and handicrafts.
The city is known for its rich cuisine and culture. Its good place for shopping the typical Sikh items and related to their culture. The best time to visit Amritsar is winter from November to March.
1) During British rule, 300 Indian civilians were killed by a senior British officer, Reginald Edward Harry Dyer on Vaisakhi day, 13th April 1919. This incident was named as Jallianwala Bagh Massacre.
2) During partition of British India into India and Pakistan Punjab state divided and given to both countries, Amritsar was the main city which was effected the most, because of its presence at the border. India wanted Lahore (A neighbouring city of Amritsar during British India time and 32 km from Amritsar) but given to Pakistan, and Pakistan wanted Amritsar which was given to India. Both the city suffered the worst communal riots, Muslims in Amritsar left their property and homes behind because of anti Muslim riots and similar situation was faced by Hindus in Lahore. Hundreds of people died of both cast.
3)Operation blue star was an Indian military operation ordered by Indira Gandhi, prime minister of India to remove Sikh militants from the Golden temple in Amritsar.
Amritsar is perfect example of courage and development. Even after all these it manages to attract high number of tourist and develop tourism. One can reach Amritsar by air at Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International airport, by rail at Amritsar railway station, by road from New Delhi via NH-1.
Place to visit:-
1) Shri Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple)
2) Jallianwalla Bagh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09iKpWvxNMY
3) Wagah border
4) Summer palace of Maharajah Ranjit Singh